I happened to visit Rawalpindi with friends a couple of days back. This was my first visit or stay-in, to be precise, to the garrison city. Earlier, I had only passed through the city on my way to Taxila a few years back and then during the recent Long March.
Interesting and shocking observation: No matter where you are in the city and whatever the time be, there would be one thing which I am sure you will be able to see in the reach of your eyes, the word Askari - either on tall buildings, on huge billboards, on traffic signals, on traffic signs and sometimes on trees. Every other traffic signal or sign board will have a new Askari product on display.
You name it and there you get to see it prefixed with Askari !
Let me recall a few of the products that caught my attention and list them here:
- Askari Bank – you must have seen lots of them around
- Askari Leasing
- Askari Insurance
- Askaro Asscoaites
- Askari Securities
- Askari Cement
- Askari Banaspati Ghee – Yep, now they even produce ghee to make sure they have “panchoo’n ghee main“
- Askari Shoes – Yes , its shoes
- Askari Information Systems
- Askari Pharma – a friend who works as a Lieutenant told they are the only pharma company in Pakistan to produce Penagra (a local version of Viagra)
- Askari Estate and Property
- Askari Sugar Mills
- Askari CNG
- Askari Farms and Seeds – I guess its about “farm-houses”
- Askari Aviation – aviation reminds me of “jahaaz“, so this can be about drugs ? Any ideas ?
- Askari Lubricants – for motors/machines ? Sorry, but they haven’t made it clear enough
- Askari Guards – there was no photo so I am assuming they are talking about those used by cricketers
- Askari Woolen Mills
I am reminded of :
bhookay reh gayay main tay tu
lutt kay lay gaya G.H.Q !
You’ve got a unique idea for a new product ?
Send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. I just sent mine for the launch of Askari Under garments !